Secretly a hopeless romantic, obsessed with dreams and ideas. But mostly, simplicity.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

So Much Beauty

12/16/2010 8:31 A.M. On a beautiful winter morning in Duluth Minnesota... I'm currently sitting at the top of a "mountain" (which is more like a HUGE hill, but still AWESOME) sipping my wonderful good morning coffee, listening to The Shins, and thinking about my life. Honestly, I have SO much to be thankful for on this day... so much to be thankful for everyday, really. It's hard to believe that after five years of distress and confusion about my future and in general about who I really am, I can finally say that for now - I'm extremely content. In the words of a great song... "who knew that simply being content is a dream come true." As of this perfect moment in time, I can say that I feel so ALIVE. Cliche as it may sound, it's the only way to describe the way I've been feeling as of lately. I'm finally out in the great big world, on my own, and making good decisions for myself (like NOT buying 5 dollar coffee's at Starbucks everyday :) When it all boils down to it, I've got two amazing people who have stood behind me through thick and thin, helping me become the person I am today. That's right folks, I've got my parents to thank for helping me get here, and ultimately supporting my ideas, whims and sometimes crazy dreams. Without them, I know I could potentially be a much lesser Person.

I've got my Dad to thank for teaching me how to think so creatively and teaching me that its okay to question things as long as the intent is to better myself and learn from others knowledge and experiences. He always seems to question where my creativity came from, and little does he know, but he put in my blueprint right from the start. With the good also comes the bad, but without bad good could not exist, RIGHT!? :) From growing up with him, I've also learned that everyone makes mistakes some bigger then others, but what matters in the end is the ability to admit to your mistakes or wrongdoings and taking the appropriate actions to change for the better.

While my Dad taught more on the intelligence spectrum, my mom taught from the other equally important end. She taught me how to dream, how to feel for myself and others and most importantly to have faith in even the darkest of times. It still amazes me to this day how she can tell things about people with an intuitive sense that is beyond me. From the very beginning of time, I always remember her telling me to "always follow your heart". This plays in my head at the most important decision making times in life. If not for her, I'd probably still be majoring in environmental science, ignoring my hearts desire to write about things unseen by most and ultimately do something much more substantial with my life/skills.

My direction in life may still be unclear, but with parents like them, (and don't even get me started on my amazing friends)... :) How could I go wrong!?

No comments:

Post a Comment