Secretly a hopeless romantic, obsessed with dreams and ideas. But mostly, simplicity.

Friday, December 31, 2010

The little tear off calendar that rocked my world


Today is Thursday December 30th, and it’s my first day off in WEEKS. I am so excited to have this day to do whatever my little girl heart desires. It’s raining outside, on this beautiful winter day, and I am in love with the way the fog is settled all around this house. I am in love with the drips and drops that I can hear on my window. I am in love with grooveshark too, because it’s sending Paul Wright, Adam Merrin and Wild Sweet Orange into my ears. I woke up feeling refreshed and as always so thankful to be waking up here in Duluth, MN.

Yesterday was a crazy day at work and the shannanagans kept coming up: from people being evacuated from a chairlift after two hours of being stuck, to beginners getting wiped out by chairs on non-beginner lifts, to me walking ALL over the mountain trying to figure out where I’m supposed to be, to loosing power on half of the hill including the Chalet. Needless to say when I got off work, I was ready to kick back and relax. I came home and went upstairs to say a, ‘hey, what’s up?’ to my roomies. We ended up kickin’ it for a bit, and it was exactly what I needed. I even started to learn a little bit about their World of Warcraft (but if anyone EVER mentions this in real life, I’ll deny it ;)

However, I have been missing my other roomie who kind of shares the bottom floor with me. He went back home to the cities for the past week, and will still be gone for this next week. He is the one that normally keeps me sane after crazy days at both of my jobs, and he always seems to know the right thing to say or do (like the time I needed a laugh, and walked in to find him using my hairdryer with the diffuser attachment to seal up a drafty window).

Anyway, I feel like I’m always going on and on about experiences in life, and how mine alone are not enough to see the world as it is. I’ve never really been able to put this view into words that others can understand. But my MIA roommate has this calendar that sits in our bathroom. It’s one of those small one’s with the tear away pages (I like these ones because it’s like opening a small gift every morning haha you never know what’s up next!). This calendars topic is based off of the book, Seven Habits of Highly Effective People (which I should really invest in). It has been sharing little tidbits of the book (or maybe not, I’ve never actually read it) with me everyday for the past couple months, and almost every single day I feel inspired enough to write a blog about each one. Today’s tidbit, however, deserves a blog for sure.

It read, “The person who is truly effective has the humility and the reverence to recognize his own perceptual limitations and to appreciate the rich resources available through interaction with the hearts and minds of other human beings. That person values the differences because those differences add to his knowledge, to his understanding of reality. When we’re left to our own experiences, we constantly suffer from a shortage of data.”

I couldn’t have been able to put this into better words, as I have been trying to for years. Even my last blog about my parents touched on this subject when I talked about my Dad teaching me that questioning is OK, as long as it’s to gain knowledge or experiences that you yourself haven’t yet had. Reading this made me smile, and realize how thankful I am to have a roommate who has no idea of the positive effects he has on me by just simply being in my life. I could tell him, but it might come off as creepy, haha.

Well tomorrow is New Year’s Eve, and I hope that ya’ll will be spending it with those that you love! I won’t be making it home to do the same, but a couple friends (don’t get me wrong I love them too) from the cities are making their way up to me for the night :)  So carry on, and play safe, this is C’est la vie, signing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment